1999 Odisha gangrape case: Prime accused Bibekananda Biswal held after 22 years 

Express News Service

BHUBANESWAR: Twenty-two years after the gangrape of the estranged spouse of an IFS officer rocked the nation and precipitated a political shakeup in Odisha, nearly costing former Chief Minister Janaki Ballabh Patnaik his job, police have lastly managed to nab the prime accused Biban alias Bibekananda Biswal.

Biban had been absconding since 1999 and the CBI, which had been entrusted the investigation into the incident by the Orissa High Court had did not hint him in all these years. He was suspected to have died or murdered.

Even because the case had been put in chilly storage for over a decade, the Cuttack-Bhubaneswar Commissionerate Police just lately reopened the file after getting some leads on Biban. And it launched ‘Operation Silent Viper’ to trace him down.

During the investigation, police got here to know Biswal was staying in Maharashtra’s Aamby Valley and dealing there as a plumber. He recognized himself as Jalandhar Swain however talked about his actual everlasting handle as Naranpur in Odisha. The investigators, nevertheless, couldn’t discover any resident of Naranpur village named Jalandhar Swain.

“The accused had managed to open a bank account and obtained an Aadhaar card in Maharashtra. He, however, had been in touch with his family members. They even attempted to obtain his death certificate in a bid to permanently close the case against him,” mentioned Police Commissioner Sudhansu Sarangi who was instantly monitoring the operation.

ALSO READ | Ailing woman of Jharkhand undergoing treatment in Odisha raped by relative

A police group left from Cuttack on February 19 and nabbed Biswal with the help of Navi Mumbai Police and Pune Police. Police Commissioner Sarangi supervised the operation carried out by a group of choose officers together with Cuttack DCP Prateek Singh.

On the night time of January 9, 1999, Biswal and his two associates Pradip Sahoo alias Padia and Dhirendra Mohanty alias Tunia had noticed the sufferer and a male pal at a roadside restaurant in Baranga.

The accused had waylaid the duo’s automobile after they had been heading in the direction of Bhubaneswar and gang-raped the sufferer after taking her to an remoted place in Belgachia.

One of the accused then took her to the close by Bhaluka forest and raped her once more. The sufferer was stored in confinement by the trio for about three to 4 hours. Mahila police had registered a case on January 10 however after an enormous public outcry, the investigation was handed over to the Crime Branch on January 12.

The police later seized the scooter utilized by the accused and arrested Padia and Tunia on January 26. A courtroom right here awarded life imprisonment to each on April 29, 2002. Padia died final 12 months whereas present process remedy in Capital Hospital right here.

The lady had additionally accused then CM JB Patnaik and the previous Advocate-General of Odisha Indrajit Ray for his or her involvement within the incident.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button