WORLD

Firefighters save 115 pups as Washington doggy daycare burns

Firefighters

Firefighters saved 115 dogs from a burning doggy daycare facility in Washington. They provided “life-saving efforts” for four of them, according to the Seattle Fire Department.

Seattle Fire Department

Firefighters rescued 115 dogs from a doggy daycare after a dryer caught fire in the building, according to Washington fire officials.

The Seattle Fire Department responded to The Dog Resort on Lake City Way in northeastern Seattle just before 11 a.m. on Feb. 1 and found multiple dogs trying to escape the smoke-filled building, according to the department.

Dog_fitted (1).jpeg
Four of the rescued dogs suffered smoke inhalation and needed treatment, according to the Seattle Fire Department. Seattle Fire Department

The fire department called Seattle police and animal control to help corral loose dogs and prevent them from running into the road, the department said in a statement. Nearby businesses helped provide temporary shelter for the dogs.

Seattle news station KOMO News took aerial video of the fire.

Seven people evacuated the building, and paramedics treated a 19-year-old, the statement says. She was in stable condition and didn’t go to the hospital.

Dog6_fitted.png
Multiple agencies and neighboring businesses pitched in to help rescue dogs after a fire at a doggy daycare. (KOMO News) Screengrab from KOMO News video

Firefighters searched the facility for all remaining dogs. Four dogs suffered smoke inhalation, and crews used specialized oxygen masks to give them air while performing CPR, a spokesman said. They were taken to a veterinary hospital.

The doggy daycare later said that it had accounted for all 115 dogs that were staying at the facility, according to the spokesman.

Dog5_fitted.png
Firefighters battle a blaze at a doggy daycare while rescuers help corral loose dogs outside. (KOMO News) Screengrab from KOMO News video

The resort posted on Facebook that all dogs were now at the facility’s second location or another daycare called BowWow Fun Towne.

BowWow Fun Towne asked owners picking up their dogs to be patient because its staff were assisting with the emergency.

Dog1_fitted.png
A firefighter carries a dog out of The Dog Resort, a doggy daycare that caught fire in northeastern Seattle. (KOMO News) Screengrab from KOMO News video

Fire department investigators later determined that the fire had started in a dryer and spread to the back of the building. It caused about $300,000 in damage, according to the department.

Madeleine List is a McClatchy National Real-Time reporter. She has reported for the Cape Cod Times and the Providence Journal.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please turn off the ad blocker & refresh this page again to access the content.