The Uttarakhand High Court on Monday ordered a stay on the state Cabinet’s decision to permit Char Dham Yatra with a limited number of pilgrims. The High Court, which ordered live streaming of Char Dham shrines, said the decision has been made in the public interest.
“As pointed out by the scientific community, the victims of the third wave will be children. The loss of a child is not painful only to parents but the nation at large. In case the Delta Plus variant is permitted to play havoc with the lives of our children, the nation is bound to lose part of its next generation. Such an apocalypse would adversely affect the growth of the country,” the High Court said.
“It is in the interest of the public to stay the operation of cabinet decision dated June 25 and to direct the government not to permit pilgrims to reach Char Dham temples,” added the High Court in its order.
A bench of Chief Justice RS Chauhan and Justice Alok Verma, which passed this order after taking into account the imminent threat due to a possible third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, has scheduled the next hearing in the case to July 7.
The High Court also suggested live streaming of the ceremonies so that devotees can witness the same from their homes.
The order came after Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat-led government had earlier on June 25 decided to allow pilgrims only from the districts in which the shrines are located from July 1. The state Cabinet had also mandated RT-PCR tests for the pilgrims, who would only be allowed in a limited number.