Business

EPF Vs NPS: Which is better for retirement planning?

EPF, NPS, retirement planning, National Pension System, NPS, EPF, NPS Vs EPF, Budget 2021, government, central government employees, tax benefits of NPS, taxability of NPS PF, PF contribution, tax on PF contribution above Rs 2.5 lakh, Budget 2021 proposal, NPS, NPS Vs PF, PPF,

Financial devices comparable to mutual funds, shares, fastened deposit, actual property, together with nationwide pension scheme (NPS) and staff’ provident fund (EPF), are among the most typical avenues checked out by buyers to have a easy and financially protected retirement.

Even although EPF and NPS are nice choices for retirement, specialists say each include their very own set of deserves and demerits. For occasion, with NPS buyers get to select from 3 funding options- fairness, company debt, and authorities bonds, whereas with EPF the investments go in debt devices predominantly. Hence, with increased publicity to equities in NPS, investing in it could fetch increased returns for buyers.

Employees’ provident fund (EPF)

The worker has to make a minimal contribution of 12 per cent of his/her wage monthly, which is matched by the employer in direction of EPS. However, the worker can voluntarily improve their share of the EPF contribution. These contributions are made in direction of the retirement fund of the worker.

Investing in EPF is not obligatory, for staff incomes greater than Rs 15,000 monthly, nevertheless, for these incomes under Rs 15,000 should mandatorily contribute in direction of it. One could make a full withdrawal from their EPF corpus when one reaches 58 years of age. Having mentioned that, partial withdrawals can be made beneath sure circumstances comparable to medical points, home development, schooling, and many others. however solely as much as a sure restrict.

EPF is tax-free not solely from the accrued curiosity but in addition from the buildup on withdrawal for investments made as much as Rs 1.50 lakh beneath Section 80C, because it falls beneath the EEE class (Exempt exempt exempt).

National Pension Scheme (NPS)

NPS is not a compulsory contribution scheme, in contrast to EPF. An investor has to open an NPS account on their very own, whereby the minimal contribution is set at Rs 500 in Tier I and Rs 1000 in Tier-II accounts. There is no funding restrict set for NPS accounts.

One of the largest drawbacks of NPS is that after the withdrawal of the corpus as soon as the subscribers attain the age of 60, it is obligatory to take a position 40 per cent of the corpus in an annuity plan. Subscribers can withdraw the remainder lump sum of 60 per cent from their corpus. Also, solely after the tenth 12 months of subscription, partial withdrawals may be made by the subscriber as much as 25 per cent of his/her NPS financial savings.

Among tax advantages, NPS subscribers get full tax-exemption as much as the restrict of Rs 1.5 lakh beneath part 80C, together with tax-exemption of as much as Rs 50,000 beneath Sec 80CCD (1B). Employees also can declare deduction beneath part 80CCD (2), on the employer’s contribution made in direction of staff’ NPS account, of as much as 10 per cent of the essential wage plus DA.

What do you have to do?

As NPS and EPF each include their very own deserves and demerits, specialists counsel buyers ought to decide for a mix of each the schemes to take benefit, particularly for buyers planning for retirement. Opting for a mix of each the schemes will profit with not solely the returns from NPS over EPF but in addition the zero threat of EPF and taxation advantages of Rs 2 lakhs, collectively.

Experts say not investing in the fitting instrument might imply shedding out on the potential returns of funding. Also, selecting one funding device for such an essential a part of life may be complicated, therefore, it’s better to know these funding devices correctly earlier than taking a call.

Get reside Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and newest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, Check out newest IPO News, Best Performing IPOs, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and comply with us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and keep up to date with the most recent Biz information and updates.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button