- Harry Styles is nominated for six awards at the 65th Grammy Awards.
- He never won a Grammy when he was part of One Direction.
- His album, Harry’s House, was nominated for Album of the Year in 2023.
There’s no denying that Harry Styles is one of the biggest pop stars on the planet. The former One Direction singer has blossomed into a vibrant solo artist with early hits like “Sign of the Times,” “Adore You,” “Golden,” and “Watermelon Sugar.” With the release of his 2022 album Harry’s House, Harry cemented his status as a successful solo artist. The Platinum-certified album included hit singles like “Late Night Talking,” “Music For A Sushi Restaurant,” and arguably the biggest hit of that year, “As It Was.”
Add in his countless sold-out shows and the growing number of Gold and Platinum records, and it’s clear that this man is one of the shining stars in the pop music galaxy. However, his light hasn’t shone so brightly when it comes to the Grammy awards. As of 2023, Harry Styles has only been nominated for nine Grammy awards — in his entire career. His tenure in One Direction never produced a single Grammy nomination, and it would take him going solo before he ever held the golden gramophone.
“Though 1D have yet to receive a nomination, we just want to point out that the GRAMMYs are indeed boy band-friendly,” Grammys.com wrote in a letter to a fan in a 2014 “Ask The GRAMMYs” column. “After all, two of the biggest boy bands of all time — Backstreet Boys and ‘N Sync — scored seven and eight career GRAMMY nominations, respectively. And One Direction’s Midnight Memories, which was released Nov. 25, 2013, will be within the eligibility period for the 57th GRAMMY Awards.” Spoiler alert: they didn’t get a nomination.
However, Harry did get nominated for the 2023 Grammy Awards. Will he take home some of the biggest awards on Feb. 5? And how many has he won so far? Read on to find out.
Harry Styles’ 2023 Grammy Nominations
Harry Styles is up for six awards at the 2023 Grammys, which brings his total number of nominations to 9. In 2023, Harry is up for some big awards.
- Record Of The Year: Harry’s “As It Was” will compete for Record of the Year, alongside Abba‘s “Don’t Shut Me Down,” Adele‘s “Easy On Me,” Beyoncé‘s “Break My Soul,” Mary J. Blige‘s “Good Morning Gorgeous,” Brandi Carlile ft. Ludacris‘s “You and Me on the Rock,” Doja Cat‘s “Woman,” Steve Lacy‘s “Bad Habit,” Kendrick Lamar‘s “The Heart Part 5,” and Lizzo‘s “About Damn Time.
- Album Of The Year: Harry’s album Harry’s House will have a hard go at Album of the Year. He’s competing against Abba (Voyage), Adele (30), Bad Bunny (Un Verano Sin Ti), Beyoncé (Renaissance), Mary J. Blige (Good Morning Gorgeous), Brandi Carlile (In These Silent Days), Coldplay (Music of the Spheres), Kendrick Lamar (Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers), and Lizzo (Special).
- Song of the Year: “As It Was” will try to claim Song of the Year, but it must defeat some stiff competition: “ABCDEFU” (GAYLE), “About Damn Time” (Lizzo), “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” (Taylor Swift), “Bad Habit” (Steve Lacy), “Break My Soul” (Beyoncé), “Easy On Me” (Adele), “Just Like That” (Bonnie Raitt), “The Heart Part 5” (Kendrick Lamar), and “God Did” (DJ Khaled ft. Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, JAY-Z, John Legend, and Fridayy).
- Best Pop Performance: Harry will go up against Adele’s “Easy On Me,” Bad Bunny’s “Moscow Mule,” Doja Cat’s “Woman,” Steve Lacy’s “Bad Habit,” and Lizzo’s “About Damn Time” in the Best Pop Solo Performance category.
- Best Pop Vocal Album: To claim the Best Pop Vocal Album, Harry will have to defeat Coldplay (Music of the Spheres), Lizzo (Special), Adele (30), and ABBA (Voyage).
- Best Music Video: Will Harry’s “As It Was” win Best Music Video? He’ll have to beat All Too Well: The Short Film by Taylor Swift, as well as Kendrick Lamar’s “The Heart Part Five,” BTS‘s “Yet To Come,” Doja Cat’s “Woman,” and “Easy On Me” by Adele.
Harry Styles’ Grammy Wins
Best Pop Solo Performance — “Watermelon Sugar”) (2021)
Harry’s first – and so far, only – Grammy win came in 2021 at the 63rd Grammy Awards. He won the Best Pop Solo Performance for his song “Watermelon Sugar.” The song — from Harry’s sophomore album, Fine Line — beat out Justin Bieber’s “Yummy,” Doja Cat’s “Say So,” Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Start Now,” Billie Eilish’s “Everything I Wanted,” and “Cardigan,” by Harry’s ex, Taylor Swift. Taylor was gracious in defeat, applauding and supporting Harry on his win.
“Wow, to everyone who made this record with me, thank you so much,” he said during his acceptance speech. “This is the first song we wrote after my first album came out [2017’s Harry Styles], during a day off in Nashville, and I just want to say thanks to Tom, Tyler and Mitch and everyone, Rob Stringer and everyone at Columbia, my manager Jeffrey, who has always nudged me to do better and never pushed me. And thank you so much. I feel very grateful to be here. Thank you so much. I feel very honored to be among all of you, so thank you so much.”
“I’m really grateful to be here,” said Harry. “All of these songs are f-cking massive, so thank you so much. I feel honored to be around all of you, so thank you so much.”
- Album Of The Year (Harry’s House)
- Record Of The Year (“As It Was”)
- Song Of The Year (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Solo Performance (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Vocal Album (Harry’s House)
- Best Music Video (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Solo Performance (“Watermelon Sugar”)
- Best Pop Vocal Album (Fine Line)
- Best Music Video (“Adore You”)
Will He Perform?
With Harry up for three of the four General Field categories, the likelihood of him performing is high. After all, “As It Was” – Harry’s second No. 1 single in the U.S. – spent 15 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 in 2022 and remains on the chart at the moment.
“As It Was” is likely to take home at least one award in the evening, so having Harry at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles would be better optics than him accepting an award via satellite. Though, as of Jan. 24, the Grammys haven’t announced any performers, it’s a safe bet that Harry will be on hand to celebrate music’s biggest night.
What’s Next For Harry Styles?
After doing a handful of dates in Southern California, Harry takes Harry’s House on tour in Australia, Asia, and Europe from the start of February to the end of July. He’ll tour with Wet Leg, the band nominated for Best New Artist in the 2023 Grammy Awards. After that, Harry might give himself a bit of a breather. Between his new album, his Don’t Worry Darling movie, and touring, he might become a homebody….or do another residency at Madison Square Garden. After all, it’s Harry’s House world, and we’re living in it.