The military tensions between India and China in eastern Ladakh are going for the last 15 months. Meanwhile, after the 12th round of Corps Commander level talks, both the countries have disengaged their troops from Gogra Heights, a point of confrontation and moved them back to their permenent bases.
“The troops in this area have been in a face-off situation since May last year. One step at a time towards standoff resolution. As per the agreement reached during corpus commander talks, both sides have ceased forward deployments in PP-17 in a phased, coordinated and verified manner,” an Army spokesperson said.
The disengagement process was carried out over two days on August 4 and 5 and troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases.
The spokesperson said that all temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified. The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to the pre-stand off period.
This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides and that there is no unilateral change in the status quo.
“With this, one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson said the Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the country and maintain peace and tranquillity along the LAC in the Western Sector.
In the 12th round of military talks, India and China had agreed to disengage troops from patrolling point 17A, one of the friction points between the two countries in the eastern Ladakh region.
The last disengagement agreed and acted upon by both sides was in February this year when they disengaged from the banks of Pangong Lake.
(With ANI inputs)