A fire broke out in Nutan Villa, a residential building located in Mumbai’s Khar area. As per reports, a woman,Hema Jagwani (40) was killed in the incident and two others were rescued by the concerned team. Officials said that the fire was of medium intensity in nature and the injured, Sangita Thakur (45) and Palak Jagwani (10) were rushed to the hospital for further treatment.
The fire brigade team and the police officials reached at approximately 7:15pm and understood that three people were trapped in the building which caught fire on Thursday, September 23, 2021, at approximately 7:00pm.
Other concerned departments like disaster management department, ambulance service, ward staff were also notified about the incident.
The process to extinguish began immediately using eight fire engines, seven jumbo tankers, and two turntable ladders, however, the fire escalated to a level-II by approximately 7:55 pm. Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire broke out due to the electric wiring and installation from ground to seventh floor. This led to heavy and intense smoke in the building, due to which breathing apparatus was used in the rescue operation.
They were taken to Mumbai’s Hinduja Hospital, however, Hema was declared dead on arrival. The rescue team was able to save two lives using the turntable ladders.
BJP leader, Ashish Shelar, took to Twitter to share the condolences and said, “Sad to report fire in a residential bungalow & one unfortunate death at 11th Rd Khar West. Police, Fire brigade on site & fire under control. I along with @alkaskerkar visited personally & cooling operations ongoing.”
Sad to report fire in a residential bungalow & one unfortunate death at 11th Rd Khar West. Police , Fire brigade on site & fire under control . I along with @alkaskerkar visited personally & cooling operations ongoing. @poonam_mahajan
— Adv. Ashish Shelar – ॲड. आशिष शेलार (@ShelarAshish) September 23, 2021