With most of the major European seasons now complete, the rumour mill has been sent into overdrive as clubs ponder their moves ahead of what will be a busy transfer window. Check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: PSG weighing move for Inter’s Hakimi
It has been widely reported that Inter Milan could be at risk of losing big names such as Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez this summer, rumours that have not been helped by the departure of Antonio Conte.
The journalist has stated that talks between the two clubs have already begun, but Inter are demanding more than €60 million if they are to let the 22-year-old wing-back move in this transfer window.
This means they can match any move that the Parisians make if they decide to do so, though there has not yet been any contact made by the Real Madrid board.
Seeing Hakimi leave would likely be a blow for Inter, as he made 45 appearances across all competitions in his debut season for them, returning seven goals and 11 assists.
They may have won the Scudetto, but there could be some trouble ahead for Inter in the transfer window.
12.40 BST: Major League Soccer has handed Inter Miami CF a $2 million fine — the stiffest in MLS history — over violations of the league’s salary budget and roster regulations.
Along with the $2m fine to the club, MLS levied a reduction in allocation money of $2,271,250 spread out over the 2022 and 2023 seasons. With a total available to spend of $19.155m across those two campaigns, the allocation money penalty amounts to 11.9% of Inter Miami’s salary budget during that time. The league also issued a personal fine of $250,000 to Inter Miami managing owner Jorge Mas.
MLS announced in March that it would be investigating the signing of midfielder Blaise Matuidi over whether it complied with the league salary budget and roster guidelines. The investigation found violations involving the player categorizations of Matuidi and former Miami defender Andres Reyes, as well as the underreporting of salary budget amounts for players Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Nicolas Figal and Julian Carranza. None of Inter Miami’s players were the subject of the investigation, committed any violation, nor were aware of the violations.
While the fines are significant, the allocation money penalty amounts to a major blow to Inter Miami, and should significantly impact the team’s ability to field a competitive roster.
11.58 BST: After Liverpool announced on Friday that they had signed defender Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig, what can Premier LEague fans expect to see from him next season?
Gab Marcotti reacts to Liverpool’s signing of defender Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig.
11.21 BST: Manchester City defender Eric Garcia says his decision to join Barcelona is a “brave” one with the signing expected to be announced after Saturday’s Champions League final.
Garcia, 20, is out of contract at the end of the season and sources confirmed to ESPN earlier this year that he has an agreement in place to return to Barca, who he left for City in 2017. Barca president Joan Laporta said on Friday that there will be “signings announced next week” and Garcia is expected to be among them.
“I have thought a lot about my future; about what I think is for the best,” Garcia told L’Esportiu. “I think it’s a brave decision [to go back to Barca]. I am convinced I have made the right one.”
Garcia’s return draws parallels to Gerard Pique’s, when he returned to Barcelona from Manchester United in 2008. However, Garcia said the comparisons end there, while also taking a cheeky jab at City’s rivals.
“I don’t fear [the comparison] but I don’t give it too much importance because I think we’re different players,” he added. “Gerard has won everything and is one of the best centre-backs in the world. I am 20 and just starting.
“The only possible comparison is that we’re both from the [Barca] academy and moved to Manchester, but he went to the team that’s not as good… I have been lucky to play for the best team in Manchester. It’s a shame for him!”
10.28 BST: Ashley Young‘s representatives are in talks with Watford over a return to the club where he started his career, Sky reports.
Young is set to leave Inter Milan this summer are turning down the offer of a new contract. The 35-year-old made 26 appearances in Inter’s Serie A title-winning campaign.
Watford will be playing in the Premier League again next season after achieving automatic promotion from the Championship, finishing eight points behind winners Norwich City.
Young came through the youth ranks at Watford, before going on to spend four years at Aston Villa and then nine years at Manchester United.
09.43 BST: Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will have to prioritise his summer signings with plans to have a net spend of up to £150m, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
This is despite United wanting to work on options to strengthen five areas of the squad.
United will make money available for new players during the transfer window but with the club still recovering from the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the spending is set to remain measured.
Work is being done on the recruitment of a striker, winger, defensive midfielder, centre-back and right-back although Solskjaer has been told the aim is to sign three first team players ahead of the new season.
09.00 BST: ICMYI — Real Madrid have confirmed the signing of David Alaba on a free transfer on Friday.
Alaba, 28, a versatile defender who can play at centre-back, full-back or in midfield, joins the La Liga club with his deal at Bayern Munich expiring this summer. The Austria international has agreed a five-year contract at the Bernabeu and will be presented at the club after Euro 2020.
Alaba made his first-team debut for Bayern in March 2010 and, except for a brief loan at Hoffenheim in 2010-11, has spent his entire professional career with the German giants.
He has been a key figure in one of Bayern’s most successful teams, making more than 400 appearances for the club, winning two Champions League trophies — including in 2020 — 10 Bundesliga titles and six German Cups.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Barcelona have been heavily linked with various free agents in recent months and Mundo Deportivo is adding another possible recruit to the list in the form of Gianluigi Donnarumma. It has been announced that the Italian will be leaving AC Milan when his contract comes to an end this summer, and Barcelona aim to bring him in as competition for Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who has suffered from knee problems. Juventus are also said to be interested in the 22-year-old.
– Juventus will be looking to strengthen their midfield in the summer, according to Calciomercato. It is suggested that Sassuolo‘s Manuel Locatelli is their priority, though Manchester United star Paul Pogba, who has one year left on his contract, is also seen as a dream signing. If they can’t bring in the Frenchman, Juventus are said to see Udinese‘s Rodrigo De Paul as an alternative.
– Fabrizio Romano has reported that Barcelona are willing to let Philippe Coutinho leave this summer. The Brazilian has struggled with injuries this term and it is stated that Arsenal, who have been linked with the midfielder in the past, are not interested in signing him.
– If Simone Inzaghi completes his expected move to Inter, Stefan Radu could come with him. The 34-year-old defender will be out of contract at the end of June and has so far been unable to reach an agreement with Lazio to extend his deal.
– West Ham United have told centre-back Fabian Balbuena that he can find a new club when his contract comes to its culmination at the end of June, according to Football Insider. This comes with the suggestion that the Hammers are hoping to sign a top defender ahead of their season in the Europa League.