On Tuesday, January 11, Mumbai Police arrested the supervisor of the company based in Ghatkopar wherein one person died and two sustained injuries owing to a gas leak on Monday, January 10, reports stated.
According to accounts, the police elaborated on how the supervisor, identified as Omkar Patil was present at the location when the mishap transpired but did not undertake any precautionary measures to see to it that the workers who were going to clean the tank were protected.
Based on narratives, Prashant Kadam, DCP (Zone VII) elaborated on how the workers should have been given certain equipment when they went inside the gas storage. Adding that since the supervisor was present at the location but did not do anything, a case under Section 304 (A) of the IPC has been registered against him and he has been arrested.
The officer, according to accounts, further elucidated how the owner’s statements will also be recorded to ascertain what measures are in force to ensure such incidents do not occur. On the other hand, the fire brigade is also probing the gas leak’s cause to understand how the labourers were trapped.
The incident transpired on Monday morning when while cleaning the tank, the workers fell and were trapped. This caused them to inhale the toxic materials that are used to make dyes.