The Carolina Panthers are halfway by means of Senior Bowl week. Each day of practice, there are a number of gamers who go away impressions, new info on the Panthers’ course of and different classes.
Here are some takeaways.
▪ Panthers workforce proprietor David Tepper attended practice Wednesday. Tepper got here into Mobile, Alabama, only for the day to watch what the workforce is doing. He even stood at midfield for a portion of practice watching the quarterbacks carefully.
▪ Alabama quarterback Mac Jones had a bounce-back day Wednesday, finishing a number of spectacular throws and showing way more snug. After Wake Forest/Georgia’s Jamie Newman was the prime quarterback in practice Tuesday, Jones was clearly the greatest of the group Wednesday.
“(The) quarterbacks really had more chance to throw it today and then there was better protection today,” Panthers head coach Matt Rhule mentioned. (*2*)
▪ Clemson broad receiver Amari Rodgers put collectively one other strong day. He has definitely drawn lots of eyes and has potential as a punt returner, as nicely.
One standout play was when he beat his protection one-on-one and raced for a landing cross from Newman. The quarterback, nevertheless, additionally had a pair of throws that weren’t as stellar, together with a pair of back-to-back interceptions.
▪ The Panthers are having 4 completely different assistant coaches name performs throughout Saturday’s recreation with offensive coordinator Joe Brady lacking in motion as a consequence of COVID-19 associated points.
Quarterback coach Sean Ryan, nevertheless, is feeding the quarterbacks performs from the scripted practice sheet throughout practices, as is customary.
▪ The Miami Dolphins and Panthers shall be adhering to Senior Bowl custom and switching groups for Friday’s conferences. That provides every workforce extra time with the completely different gamers.
▪ Rhule stopped practice about two-thirds of the method into the day and gave a speech about everybody needing to provide their greatest effort. He was carrying a microphone for ESPN’s protection of the practice, and mentioned he was cautious to not curse as he knew his mom can be watching.
“Saying ‘yes, sir’ does not mean your coachable,” Rhule mentioned. “Looking someone in the eye, having football conversations means your coachable … you should be coached on every play.”
The coach additionally made the level that many NFL staffs may be attempting to judge gamers in comparable conditions, however that the Panthers are additionally attempting to teach them.
▪ Baylor edge rusher William Bradley-King is having a strong week on the Panthers’ squad. He was by no means coached by Rhule or his employees, arriving after their departure, however he was recruited by Rhule as a graduate switch from Arkansas State. Bradley-King mentioned he was loved working with the employees, and known as Rhule “intense.” And that defensive coordinator Phil Snow has had a surprising quantity of vitality for 7 a.m. conferences.