Chandigarh: In what comes in as a major relief for the people of Punjab courtesy the decline in Covid-19 cases, Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh-led government has announced that night curfew and weekend lockdowns will end from July 12.
The Chief Minister, who made this announcement after reviewing the Covid-19 situation, has allowed gatherings of 100 people indoors and 200 outdoors from July 12.
He has also directed Punjab Director General of Police Dinkar Gupta to penalize all politicians violating the Covid-19 pandemic rules while holding rallies and protest meetings.
Here are the major announcements made:
- The bars, gyms, cinema halls, restaurants and spas have been allowed to reopen and it is mandatory for the staff members to have received at least one dose of the Covid vaccine.
- The colleges, coaching centers and other institutions of higher learning will reopen for vaccinated individuals. It is mandatory for the students and teachers to have gotten at least one dose in the last 15 days.
- The schools will remain closed
- The political leaders will be penalized for violating pandemic rules during rallies and protest meetings
- Weekend and night curfew will be lifted
- Swimming pools, malls, museums, zoos and sports complexes will now open but the staff and patrons must have taken at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Strict use of masks must be ensured at all times
This comes as Punjab’s Covid positivity rate has slide down to a new low of 0.4 percent.
The Chief Minister will, however, review the Covid-19 situation yet again on July 20 but till then directions have been issued to ensure that all Covid protocols are strictly followed.
Earlier on Thursday, Punjab recorded 229 fresh Covid cases and 11 more deaths.