The Storm originally termed the charges against Tui Kamikamica ‘serious’, but now the club has permitted him to resume training.
Melbourne Storm forward Tui Kamikamica will return to training on Tuesday despite being charged with assault by Queensland Police last month.
But the Storm on Monday confirmed that Kamikamica would be unable to play for the side when the 2022 season begins in March if his court case is still ongoing at that time in compliance with the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy.
Kamikamica is alleged to have assaulted a woman outside a venue in the Fortitude Valley on November 13 but intends to plead not guilty when he faces court early in the new year.
“Police will allege the man assaulted a 30-year-old woman, who was not known to him, outside an Ann St business,” a police statement said.
“On November 25, following an investigation, he was issued with a notice to appear at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 10, 2022.”
The Storm confirmed Kamikamica would be subject to the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy when it came to playing.
Jack de Belin, Tyrone May and Dylan Walker are among the other NRL players to have been stood down from playing duties since the policy was introduced by then ARLC chairman Peter Beattie in 2019 in conjunction with then NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg. All three have since returned to playing at first grade level.
The policy permits players subject to court cases to continue training with their peers.
The Storm on Monday announced that Kamikamica would return to training on Tuesday despite initially standing him down due to the “seriousness of the allegations”.
“As a result of the policy, and having considered all available information, the club believes it is appropriate that Kamikamica returns to training tomorrow,” the club said on Monday.
“The club will make no further comment as the matter is now before the courts.”