SOMEHOW unassuming cauliflower has change into a star vegetable. Darling of the ketogenic weight reduction plan, applauded for its versatility, it’s known as on as another choice to each factor from rice to rooster wings. I’m not proper right here to push cauliflower pizza crust instead for the true issue, nevertheless I’m as weak as anyone to the charms of the ever-present brassica.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Share your experience with this recipe. Did you make any permutations? How did you serve it? Be a part of the dialog beneath.
Cauliflower is a chameleon ingredient, readily absorbing totally different flavors. And because of its extreme water content material materials (spherical 90%), it lends itself notably properly to mixing in a soup. Within the recipe at correct, kombu supplies salinity and depth, providing the backbone for a vegan stock. Bolstered by crunchy, savory croutons, showered in Vitamin B-rich dietary yeast and up to date herbs, it’s nourishing however delicate. For added heat, I actually like drizzling on some Chinese language chile crisp. A dollop of crème fraîche or a non-dairy substitute moreover performs correctly proper right here.
This soup is a staple in my dwelling, matter to infinite riffing. I’ve swapped in steamed clams for the croutons, which is sensible as a result of the blended cauliflower has a chowderlike texture. Within the winter, I’ve added sauerkraut to the soup ahead of blending for a contact of tang. However I certainly not cross over the turmeric, which imparts a comforting, earthy remember along with a vivid golden hue. Like cauliflower itself, that coloration seems to go along with practically each factor.
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly flooring black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced, plus 1 clove, grated
- ¼ teaspoon chile flakes
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 large head cauliflower, scale back into florets
- 8 cups water
- 1 (4-inch) sq. kombu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ponzu
- 6 slices nation bread, torn in bite-size objects
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dietary yeast
- Mint or cilantro sprigs
- Chile crisp (non-compulsory)
- In a giant pot, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt, and sauté until translucent, 4 minutes. Add sliced garlic, chile flakes and turmeric, and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add cauliflower, water and kombu. Convey to a boil, in the reduction of heat and simmer until cauliflower is fork-tender, 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and ponzu. Discard kombu.
- Working in two batches, fastidiously ladle soup proper right into a blender and purée until simple. Return soup to pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the croutons: Preheat oven to 375 ranges. On a baking sheet, combine bread, remaining oil, grated garlic and dietary yeast. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle on chile crisp, while you like. High with croutons and up to date herbs.
To uncover and search through all our recipes, check out the model new WSJ Recipes internet web page.
Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Firm, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8